Friday, December 7, 2007

New filing system!

I am jazzed today. After hunting for over a month I finally got the new file cabinet. I had done a re-do of organizing the studio earlier this year. It was a great idea to have the plastic bins with the fabric on file folders. But when looking for fabric, I had troubles reaching the back of the bin to see what fabrics were there. This is the system I had:
I decided that a lateral file cabinet might be better. Even used they were running a hundred or more each. I kept looking though and finally got this one:It is a 42" wide Hon lateral file cabinet with four drawers. It is in perfect condition and it was only $80!!!

Now I have my fabric in these drawers, still on the file folders. I can see ALL the fabric, and get it in or out with no problems. I even can store bolts of wunder-under behind the hanging folders. I have my bolts of fabric in the top drawer, my hanging yardages in the middle drawers, large pieces in the bottom, along with batting chunks in the bottom. It all works so well!
And those plastic bins? They are all already full again! This time with projects or different costume fabrics though. Today I hope to finish organizing it all today and sew this evening.
I am so happy my fabric is now protected from the sun too! It's a good thing. :)

3 comments:

Sharon said...

WHAT AN AWESOME IDEA!!!! So neat and organized. GOOD JOB!!!!

Blue said...

Lady, Lady, what am I going to do with you? You done good! AGAIN. Blue

Sherri D said...

Thanks ladies. I love it too! The top drawer now has my huge yardage pices in it as well. These are half bolts of fabric that are too big to put on the hanging racks.
ALL my fabric is now out of any sunlight. :)