Wednesday, January 30, 2008

One fish, two fish, red fish, no blue fish

Now that my first order of aprons is done, I am turning towards a few more artistic endeavors. Here is my mini fishbowl project that I worked on today. The sand, had been mixed with the Modge-Podge and was allowed to dry.

I then auditioned several ideas I had, on how to finish the insides. Here is wool roving with a seashell sitting on top of the sand. I did not like this.

I then tried the roving with a scrap of fabric that is about a one and a quarter inch hexagon scrap. I did not like the look of this either.

So, instead I made itty bitty pillows out of three scraps of fish material .......

...and one clam shell. Then I basted the little pillows in place on the blue fabric. I sandwiched the blue fabric pieces with thin batting and a light blue cotton backing.

Here are all four pieces, quilted now, with a metallic thread. I did a tiny blanket stitch with the same metallic thread, around each fish and the clam, to hold them in place.

I trimmed the quilted pieces and hand basted them together to get a feel for how this was going to work. I like it!

Here is a closer picture of the basted pieces. I have already removed the basting stitches from the fish and clam. You can see the tiny blanket stitches around this fish. This has all been done by machine, not hand work...well, except for the basting part.

Next I took out the basting threads. I then, very carefully, sewed the the sections together. Then I sewed a bottom circle to ... well, to the BOTTOM of course! :)


Now I have a hollow bag. I next plan to embellish this a little bit. Stay tuned for more progress!

1 comment:

Carolyn in Kentucky said...

Sherri, this is an awesome idea for a fishbowl quilt. I bet that these fish would not go belly up like all the ones we have ever brought from the pet store. I am looking forward to seeing how yhopu finish this up.