Sunday, August 2, 2015

Edge of My Plate

I don't know if I've mentioned that the designer, Cindy, of the "My Favorite Things" BOM is from Minnesota. I spent about 40-some years of my life in Minnesota. Some of the blocks she's designed are so "Minnesotan"! I think this is one of the reasons I like this BOM so much.
Here is my smaller design wall with the July block, from Cindy's pattern, in the center:
Note the two loons to the left? Minnesota state bird. The dark thing to the upper left is my Dad's winter hat...also from Minnesota. So the July block reminds me of cabins on the lakes around Minnesota.
I've also been working on the border prints for these blocks. As I laid out the border pieces, I figured out I had made a mistake on this one! It was supposed to be five inches longer!!! Now what? Ingenuity!!! I added one of those great Minnesota lakes to the bottom! hahahaha
I might add something to embellish this more. The fabric sure seems like a good match though!
Here is a shot of the big design wall today:
 The top row of this quilt is all sewn together:
 
As I mentioned in a previous posting, there are four triangle sets from each of the border blocks. This makes for a pile of half-square-triangles to press open and trim up! They almost escaped the studio this morning!
I rounded them all up though, and by the end of the day I had this mess all pressed out:
The Dresden Plate project is at a standstill right now. I tried using white floss to blanket stitch the center down. I do not like how it looks though!
I think I will try black floss next. If that doesn't work then I will just do invisible stitches by hand.

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood....if you like humidity. It is about 8am and the contractor is cutting tree branches. The ladder was really wobbly and he was up there with a running chainsaw!!!
The branch is now down. You can see we have a lot of trees in our neighborhood. 
The dump truck brought a big load of gravel for the area we are working on.
And now we have our other driveway all re-graveled and a pad is down for the RV.
This week promises to be hot and humid again. I am so glad summer is half over! I am almost giddy, thinking about autumn's arrival.

Till next week, happy sewing y'all!

No comments: