Sunday, October 9, 2016

Quarater #4 - FAL

After almost totally sloughing off any major sewing all summer, my plan is to come back like gangbusters and really get a lot of quilty work done for the forth quarter of the "Follow-A-Long" challenge.

Quarter Four:
10/8/16 to 1/7/17

Seven projects:
1 Folk Art Quilt: blocks are done, need to assemble and quilt
 2 Cathedral Windows Quilt: I think I am dreaming that this will get done!
3 My Tweets Quilt: binding
 4 Hexagon Quilt: Another one that should be done, but oh my it is a big one!

5 My Favorite Things Quilt: ready to quilt and bind

6 Label for U is for Unicorn Quilt: why is this not done???
 7 Autumnal Donation Quilt: this should be done before winter, right? lol
 I am almost done making two other donation quilts. Next time I open my mouth and say "Sure, I can quilt those for you" I need to find out what kind of batting they are using. In this case, both quilts had super thick batting. This gave me no end of aggravations! Thick batting is NOT friendly!!!
To top it off, there is a method of binding I had not heard of before, called "Economy Binding Method". The binding strip is only 1 1/4" wide! Normally binding is a LOT wider. I was dubious that this was going to work, especially on a quilt with super thick batting.
I had to iron it in half and then iron one edge over. I attached it to the front of the quilt with a scant quarter inch seam allowance. NO easy feat!!! I am now hand sewing it to the back. It will actually turn out alright. I don't know that I would use this method on other quilts, but maybe. 

That's it for today. I need to get going on my 4th Quarter FAL projects now!

 Happy Sewing Y'all!

2 comments:

Jennie {Clover and Violet} said...

That hexagon quilt! It is my dream to make one, good luck finishing your projects! Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2016 global FAL hosts.

Sherri said...

Thanks for your sweet comments Jennie!