Sunday, February 4, 2018

Owl Be Seeing You

I'm so funny, I make myself laugh sometimes. ha ha ha.....ANYway, here is the latest block done for the owl quilt:
If you click on it and look at a larger version, you can see the added 'antenna' on its little horns. I've seen a few owls done with that type of embellishment and I liked it, so I added it to one of mine.

I haven't made much progress on the 'Snow Much Fun' quilt but at least I DID start it. This will eventually be two snowmen and a tree:
 It is being done in flannel. I've never done a flannel appliqué quilt. I doubt it will need batting when I go to quilt it. Flannel tends to be heavy.

I am making super slow progress on the 'Ringo Lake' quilt by Bonnie Hunter. I am still working on step number two. There are hundreds of them!

In fun and happy news, I slew the "Knee-Eating-Monster" that has lived under my sewing machine for the past 20 or so years:
 Do you know what a pool noodle is? It is a firm foam noodle that is most often used in a swimming pool. Quilters, being the industrious types they are, will wrap quilts around noodles to help keep creasing to a minimum when storing their quilts. I got the brilliant idea to use one to cover the sharp edge that has bruised my knee and leg WAY too often!!!
 It was surprisingly easy to cut to size and to slice down the length of it and to slide it over the edge under my machine. This is either a Koala or a Horn cabinet. I can't recall which. I am so happy to not have to worry about hurting my knee anymore!!!
Since Jaye asked, I have added this picture. This isn't exactly my cabinet but the detail that I've circled is about the same. The idea was for a little cubby to keep the manual in or whatever you wanted to store inside that vertical space. Trouble is, I would often bang my left knee against the sharp edge there! The pool noodled has stopped this issue. And I also figured out that it IS a Koala cabinet.  I would agree it should be considered a design flaw. I am not sure if any of the newer styles have the same problems or not.

Here is a game of yarn chicken that I played and won handily. I am making a shawl blanket. It is like a shawl but is used as a blanket to wrap up in on those cold winter days. I have one for the camper too. They work better  for wrapping up in than a full blanket does. You aren't sitting on it as much as you would a blanket.

I started another owl block today. We got a puppy, so I am having to sit around a lot more than usual. Working on the owl blocks has been very rewarding.

That is all for this month. I hope to have made more progress on several projects when I next report. Till then, happy sewing y'all!

4 comments:

Crowbat said...

I absolutely love the owls!! And great idea with the pool noodle. I'm afraid I need to do that to the bottom edge of my wall cabinet doors. Short people problem..

Jackie said...

I really like your shawl blanket, it looks really simple and as I am just learning crocheting I was wondering if you could tell me where I can get the pattern.

Sherri said...

Here is where I got the pattern: https://www.thespruce.com/crochet-a-shawl-from-scrap-yarn-977938

Jaye said...

I am kind of shocked that a reputable cabinet maker would have such a problem. Perhaps they only made one of your cabinets, realized the design flaw and changed the design? I love the pool noodle idea. You have to send that one to Fons & Porter!

Your owl is adorable!

Keep up the good work!