Sunday, February 23, 2020

Pie or cake?

I get in the mood to make things other than quilts sometimes. Last week I made a beef pot pie. I know other quilters that make pies too. They often decorate their pie tops. I've started doing this as well. According to my family, it doesn't improve the taste any because my pot pies are already awesome! I have a pretty nice family, don't ya think?

With the success of the pot pie on my mind, I turned to something sweeter. I had leftover gingerbread house pieces in the freezer. I ground them up in the blender and used them for the crust under this really good cheesecake! I am not one to brag, but this really was the best one I have ever made. The family says it is ok if I try to make an even better one though. (wink, wink) I even used real blueberries instead of canned blueberry pie filling. It really was yummy.

Back in the studio I am making steady progress on the "Nordic Fire" quilt. These borders are not attached yet. The pattern calls for narrow borders in-between the pieced borders. I haven't decided if I will do them in a matching fabric or a contrasting fabric. The pattern calls for contrasting. I am not sure I want to do that yet.

I am almost done with the first block in the "Flower Power" block challenge that I am making for my quilt guild. As I near the finish, there are so many ideas in my head for my own quilt pattern! One of these days I really need to follow through and design my very own appliqué quilt.

I took a few random photos of my work areas. These are the beginnings of the next round of borders on the "Nordic Fire" quilt.

The triangles below are next to my machine, waiting to be sewn. They will become flying geese patches. I am trying several different ways of making these as I really do not like the one where you end up with a gazillion triangles that you have to cut and toss.

That's it for today. I have a busy week ahead and lots more sewing that I want to try to fit in. Till next time, happy sewing y'all!

2 comments:

Jaye said...

The new quilt looks good.
Jaye

Sherri said...

Thanks Jaye. I actually am enjoying how it's turning out!