Thursday, September 17, 2020

Sock it to me

 Fun times!

I started this sock a long time ago. This is from March of this year. I think I started this several times before even getting to this point!


I got quite a ways along with this sock. The heel was to be added afterwards, according to the pattern. Looks pretty good, don't ya think?

I added the heel and then tried to put it on.
Crocheted socks don't have the 'give' that knitted socks do. I had to pull and tug and worried I was going to break the yarn before I finally got it on. Then I had to roll the cuff down because it was sagging away from my leg so much.
This just wasn't going to do. For the eleventieth time, I ripped out the sock all the way to the foot part and started again.

I needed another project to work on, that was more successful. I started doing a pullover top. Sadly, I didn't have enough yarn to even think about being able to finish this one. Off to the stores that sell yarn, I go.
Too light, too dark, too thin, too thick, too shiny, wrong fiber, oh my, what to do?
This color was almost perfect but in person, this was just totally wrong in texture.

Finally, I found the perfect yarn and
all was right with the world again. hahaha
Arkansas River at sunrise, from atop Petit Jean Mountain

This is a huge skein of yarn and it would work for my project!!! 

When I need a break I have been working on embroidery projects. 
This is one of my current ones:






The pattern is an old old one. I'm hoping to give this as a 
Christmas gift to my Panda loving daughter!

"I'm bored and hungry Mom."
Hang on Roxy, I'm almost done.

We've been redoing our college son's room while he's away for the semester. We put the instruments on the wall and downsized his bed from a full size to an XL twin size. This will give him a lot more room.
The dragon wall hanging was one I made for him many years ago. He was born in the year of the dragon. The blue quilt was a baby quilt I made for him. It will be covering the headboard when we get one for him. 

I made it into the studio last week! I finished the blocks and auditioned the sashing. I think the orange wins out. The other is just too dark. This is somewhat of a Halloween themed quilt.

My college son sent me this photo of his dashboard. I DID notice the odometer reading of 222,222, but I also noticed he was driving on the freeway when he took the photo. I mentioned to him that I didn't think that was the best idea he's ever had.

I was playing around with my cotton scraps and made two kitchen washcloths for my middle son for his new apartment.


I got my yarn-of-the-month last week too. This one is a sock yarn from KnitCrate.com. It is so soft! I can hardly wait to try it out. OH, if you're interested, they have a fairly decent yarn of the month club. If you want to try it, let me know. I can give you a code for the first month at 50% off. They have two programs. One has two skeins and is $24.99 and one has one skein for $19.95. You'll get 50% off your first month and you can cancel at any time. Just let me know if you want ti give it a try...and yes, I get a free month for getting you to try it too!


With the sock yarn coming in the mail, I was inspired to go back to work on those socks. I made a different heel turn and shorter ribbed cuff. NOW they were easier to get on and off and they didn't gape around the leg either.
They look a lot more like socks and boy are they warm! I learned a lot from these and the other two pairs I've done recently. I hope my forth pair are even better! I'm working on Halloween ones, so I best quit writing on here and get back to work!

Come on Roxy, let's go! 

Oh Roxy, did you get tired of waiting for me?

Till next time, happy sewing or crocheting or creating y'all!

3 comments:

Crowbat said...

You have been busy!! Socks look great.

Jaye said...

WOW! I am impressed with your tenacity on the socks. They look great and look worth all the effort. Are you thinking of learning to knit? I want to learn to knit socks, but need to do it in person. The panda embroideries are fun.

Sherri said...

I somewhat know how to knit but never enjoyed it. I'll be sticking with my crocheting. :)

I like the vintage look of the Panda towels too!

Thanks for commenting.