Friday, October 26, 2007

Doing just fine......

I am almost done with the center for my round robin block. In January, it will go out and I will get someone else's to work on. This piece will be titled "Grandma's House." It is machine stitched and hand appliqued on a white on white print. I plan to stuff the middle ala trapunto style...kinda sorta. :)

Someone recently asked me about my sanity. I told them about the hexagon quilt I am making. It will be done by hand. It is my 'knitting' that I can take along everywhere with me or just watch tv at night and work on this. I started it earlier this year.
Those little white pieces are the vellum paper hexes that I baste the fabric pieces around. That red grid has one inch squares.
Here is a picture of my hex kit. It actually has a third container not pictured. The third container is a large empty plastic peanut butter jar. I keep all the odd single fabric hexes in that. I will be using them for the border of the quilt I think. Or some other project.

The green box is from a box of wipes. The clear one is just a storage container I had. In the green box I keep the pinned hexes and an Altoid box with supplies in it.
This is what is all in the green box. The Altoid box has bobbins that were almost empty. I use up the bits of thread from them to baste the fabric bits around the vellum hexes. There is a credit card magnet glued to the bottom of the Altoid box. As I baste the hexes I put the pins in that box. I also store a bit of wool with the needles in it, and a small scissors inside. There are over fifty fabric and paper hexes in that box, all waiting to be basted.
Here is the plastic storage box.
It has dividers in it. The basted hexes are organized in here. I have room for a little scissors, thimble, some needles in a scrap of wool, thread, and needle threaders. When closed, I put a rubber band around it to hold it shut. Everything stays in its place inside.
So that is my hexagon quilt kit!

2 comments:

Jaye said...

Cool quilt kit. Have you tried Quilt Pattis?

Ljeterpudd said...

Hello,
What a great kit to have for EPP. I just started an EPP project and just love doing it. I have also used bobbin thread just to baste the fabric around the hexagons. I have also bought two great books on hexagons and EPP.
Thanks for putting this on you blog.
Linda J
VA