Saturday, November 1, 2008

Two tops finished

Here is the completed house block quilt top. I will use the checkerboard fabric to bind it and I have some of that red brick (used in some of the houses), as backing material.


The Coffee Quilt top is also done. I followed a pattern for it from a book. There is a flaw in the pattern that I didn't notice until I had cut out all my pieces. I didn't have enough fabric to 'fix' the flaw, so it will have to be this way. Can you see it?

I have more of the lightest fabric for backing. If I have enough of the medium brown, I will bind it in that color. Otherwise I will bind it in the light color. Even with its design flaw, I like this little quilt!

I recently looked at a book to get ideas for holiday gifts. It was a very nice hardback book with lots of photos. I am sure it was over twenty bucks when new. I was very surprised when looking at the photos though! Picture after picture showed completed projects and blocks that looked horrible! I expect a book to show the best works possible. This book had both traditional-pieced and paper-pieced blocks. Most were done very poorly. Not only did points NOT match, they didn't even come close to matching! I can almost accept that in a full-view photo of a quilt. These were just the blocks though! It really detracted from the over-all quality of the book.

I have mismatched points on many of my projects. I am not an author of a book though! Is this common? It makes me want to go back and look at my other books to see if this is common.

No comments: