Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day Rambling

Mother's Day...the day when many of us moms wait and wonder if our kids will remember to take time to call or write to us so that we feel like we are loved and not forgotten. I wish my mom were still alive so I could send her flowers and give her a quick phone call. She was a pretty good mom. :) I feel bad for anyone who doesn't have a mom in their lives that they want to honor today....whether by choice or by circumstances.

I am having a very nice Mother's Day weekend. It started Friday night with an outing to a seafood place for supper. I love seafood and my family does not. When I found a coupon for a free meal for me for Mother's Day, I suggested we go so I could get my fix of fish and shrimp. :D

Saturday we went to the local farmer's market. Again, this is just for me as the family also does not like fruits and vegetables. I bought some delicious tomatoes there.

Next we drove to a quilt shop that I really like. I have only been there once before though, as it is a bit of a distance from the house. I bought some elastic thread for a project I have in mind, a bodkin for threading strings through the bags I plan to make, some gray cotton quilting thread for hand sewing the hexagon quilt, and of course some fabric!
When we got home there was a box on the porch. My daughter had sent me a bouquet of flowers...in PURPLE which is one of my most favorite colors. :) You can see the flowers and quilt shop purchases in the photo above. The fabrics were three Christmas ones that were on sale for 60% off and one retro fabric. Oh, and I splurged on a set of templates too!

There is a story behind the retro fabrics. As you know I have been struggling with that Wedding Ring quilt. One of the fabrics in that quilt was this exact same retro fabric! I might have even purchased it at that very same store last year, but I can't remember for sure. lol I have since decided to sell off the book and the started quilt. (see sidebar if you are interested in it) I am going to do something else with all the retro fabrics I still have and this purchase yesterday will be the main fabric in the project.

Here is a closeup of the floral bouquet my daughter sent me:

Today hubby bought doughnuts for breakfast and will cook something special for supper. I am to have a totally lazy day...mostly in the studio, to enjoy some much needed fabric therapy. I might not even get out of my pajamas! :)

HEXAGON QUILT
When I work on the hexagon quilt, I often have leftover hexes that won't work into the flowers. I attach them to each other and WILL eventually have a scrappy table cloth or table runner...depending on how big it gets.
MOJO
As you know my mojo has been lacking lately. On one of my email lists today, there was a quote that addressed this very thing! I would like to leave you with this quote that might get your mojo working again, if it has taken a leave of absence in your lives:

We should be taught not to wait for inspiration to start a thing. Action always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action.
Frank Tibolt

No comments: