Sunday, January 23, 2011

Tweetin' Away

I've spent several hours today, working on my "My Tweets" BOM. It is good it is a BOM (block-of-the-month) because it will take at least that long to prepare one block to be sewn!!!

I am really taking my time though. When something isn't right, I am redoing it to make it right! So far I have not had to re-cut any fabric, but I may have to redo the blue trim under the wings. Believe it or not, this is a newer thing for me to do...to take time to make it right. So many times in the past, I just go at a project and if something goes wrong, I just don't care about quality any more and make it work, wrong.

That bad habit leads to little imperfections throughout my quilts that I am not proud of! I am getting better about it now though. If I am not making it right, I quit working on the project and set it aside to come back to later, when I am in a better mood!

This first photo shows you my iron and special ironing surface. In the bottle is diluted starch. I don't want starch all over my ironing board so I have a special board on top. All it is, is a piece of quarter inch plywood covered with a little batting and low quality cheap muslin. It sets right on my ironing board for use. I could have it on my cutting table too, if I wanted.
I have some of the pieces prepared and ready to glue together before sewing to the background. I did not realize how tedious this was going to be! It is such a pleasing piece to work on though, that is is worth the fuss and bother!
I started this last night and hope to get the feathers, flowers, and leaves done yet today. Tomorrow I hope to work on the stems. I needed a little break though, so I thought I would give this little update on the blog. Time to get back at it! I hope you all are enjoying your weekend too!

3 comments:

Quilt Rat said...

Looks like you are off to a great start.......I think this is going to be a fun project...funny how we are both involved in this one too!
I think I should go grab a button for my sidebar as well.

Jaye said...

I am glad to hear that you are taking your time and redoing when something is wrong. If I say to myself "oh, it will be ok" then I kn ow a problem is coming. I don't want to finish a quilt and say "oh I wish I had redone that" so I am trying to remember that I do this for the process. I hope you enjoy the process.

Sherri said...

I have done as much Jaye...and done that way too often. At first, I thought I wouldn't really care. But I have found that if I go back and redo, to my satisfaction and to the best of my ability, that I DO enjoy the process because the REWARD is not tainted! :)