Sunday, June 28, 2015

Please Pass The Plates

I can't tell you how much fun it has been for me to spend so much time in my studio these past few weeks. Almost every weekend I've been getting a major sewing fix in! During the week I have been making lots of progress too.
Three more flowers are on the My Tweets quilt:
Only six more to go!
I made some progress on the Folk Art Quilt BOM, finishing block three:
And starting on block four:
I finally got back to finishing the sewing machine block on the My Favorite Things BOM:
This is what it looked like before I added the embroidery work and the presser lift bar:

Another block from the My Favorite Things BOM was this one:
I did the embroidery work to finish it up right:

As the week went on, I have the 'tale of two bobbins' to tell you about. I have been doing lots of work on quilting donation quilts for my quilt guild. With all these quilts to work on, I wanted to wind up all my bobbins so I wouldn't have to stop as often and could quilt more.

I hadn't even finished unpacking all the extras that came with my Sweet 16 quilting machine. I had purchased extra bobbins with the machine. I found the bobbins and went to wind them full of thread. When I opened the package with the extra bobbins, I found that they were missing the slots to thread the thread through!
The first thing I did was to go on eBay and order ten bobbins with slots. The next thing I did was to contact the place where I had purchased my Sweet 16 and asked them why my bobbins didn't have slots in them. They said it was a mistake and they would send out two new ones WITH holes to replace the two I had without.

Fast forward a day or three and the eBay order comes in with the ten bobbins. Yeah! I could wind up a huge bunch of bobbins now.  Only... I couldn't! Half of the bobbins had burrs inside where the slots had been cut. I gave them to The Mister and asked him if he could file the burrs out and he said he thought so. Of course it was put on the "Honey Do List" and I didn't know when it would get done.

I contacted the seller on eBay and said they needed to check their vendor who is supplying them with defective bobbins. Since the total cost was less than $4 WITH shipping, I didn't think anything else would come of it. I was very surprised to get an email from the seller that said they would send out a new batch and a return label for me to send the defective ones back to them! Wow! I thought that was huge for a seller. There is no way to have made any money on our transaction. You CAN bet though, that if I need something they sell, I will check them out first.

Another day and the two replacement bobbins came in from the place I bought the Sweet 16. I opened the package and.............two bobbins................with NO slots! I called them and said "Um, the invoice SAYS slotted but these replacement bobbins do not have slots!" They apologized profusely and said they would send out two MORE bobbins. I was to keep all four bobbins that do not have slots. I was fine with that and in a few days two bobbins arrived and they DID have slots! lol

Phew! Are you still reading this? I am rather long winded tonight. Coming into this weekend I prepared the next step for the Folk Art Quilt BOM:

My design wall looked like this when I left my studio tonight:

I managed to cut a few more blades out for the Dresden Plate Project blocks. I hope to start sewing them together soon.
It's been a very productive week with loads of fabric therapy. I feel good. I think I am ready to teach my yoga class tomorrow morning too. I feel very zen like tonight. I hope you are making a Dresden Plate block too. You only have to make one before December 10th! Post a picture on the Flickr Group page too. The link is in the side bar.

And there you have it! Until next time, Happy Sewing Y'all!

No comments: