Sunday, May 26, 2019

Dinosaur Mom, Some Quilty Stuff, and Sketches

I am one of a growing rare breed...a stay-at-home mom. I have been a mom for close to 40 years now and most of that time I was at home.  I like being a mom. I like being in control of the house things. I like things my way. It took many years before I accepted that I had value, being a mom. Perhaps that old term, "Domestic Engineer", would be more applicable. Like dinosaurs though, I feel like it is becoming an extinct animal.

I am beginning to think my family is trying to mess with me too. I will celebrate if I do up the dishes and the sink makes it for more than five minutes before someone puts a dirty dish in it! I do. I smile and enjoy that clean sink. Most of the time, as soon as the dishwasher starts, someone will go into the kitchen and fix a snack or a meal. Even if it is just a butter knife to butter some toast, clink, it goes into the sink. Grrrrrrr....

There is a similar issue with laundry. When I dump that last load into the washer and see the empty clothes bins, it gives me some satisfaction. Ahhhhh, I am all caught up! I swear clothing is some sort of little alien that hides until the washer is well into it's last spin cycle. Then it transports itself into the empty basket. I guess I shouldn't complain as most of the socks do seem to appear in pairs. Damn little ninjas.

Then there is my strange dog. I was looking at my young plum trees, seeing if there were any possible plums that might make it to the edible stage. There were hundreds of them under the two trees from a recent wind and rain storm. If you click on this photo you can make out the little green plums that used to be in the tree:
ANYWAY, there was one large one that I picked up and looked at and then tossed deep into the yard. Well, my silly dog Dexter, found that plum and brought it up to the deck and proceeded to eat it. I mean, MOM touched it, so it must be good, right? Dumb dog. Lovable but not all that smart.

Back inside the house, my design wall has several projects on it. The bright pink strips are part of a guild challenge. The pieced blocks are the Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt "On Ringo Lake" from almost two years ago. The Dresden plate blocks will be a Peanuts' themed holiday quilt.

Back to Mom stuff, my youngest graduated, with honors no less! I am very proud of the young man.

Little Annie, my Featherweight, is seeing the light of day again. She can do straight sewing better than any of my more modern machines. She's 72 now and going strong. She's sitting in a table that I picked up at Goodwill for $5. It's a good match up. The table is sturdy, light weight, and folds up.

The rest of this posting has all my most recent sketches from the Sketchbook Challenge. Enjoy!
 
 

 






That's all folks! Happy Sewing y'all!

2 comments:

Crowbat said...

Big congrats, Tommy! Of course, you get your smarts naturally. Dex, on the other hand...well, he's "unique", I suppose. Love the sketches, but what's the thing that looks like a sleeve with a buttonhole?

Sherri said...

lol I love that....sleeve with a buttonhole! lol It is a glass and it was an experiment in making it shine. It obviously did not work out right and I agree, that looks like a hole, not light shining.