Saturday, January 11, 2020

Isn't it amazing?

At the end of October I had a total knee replacement on my left knee. I had a bone on bone knee and the pain was keeping me from enjoying many things like a walk in the woods when camping. For the first month or so, I was not allowed to drive. I didn't mind this for the first few weeks as I laid in bed and healed. After a while though, I was getting around the house pretty well. I was bored. What could I do? Of course I did what any quilter would, I played with fabric! 

The first thing I did was to finish up Bonnie Hunter's "Ringo Lake" quilt. This is the second of her quilts that I have done. She has free quilt-a-longs every year on her blog. She's currently dong one called Frolic right now. This is my "Ringo Lake":
The way the colors turned out, I am thinking of calling this "Christmas Candy".
It reminds me of those  soft peppermint taffy type candies.
Bonnie sells her patterns for a very reasonable price after she's shared them for free. Check out her blog over at "Quiltville" for patterns, quilt-a-longs, tips, and a whole lot of fun!

I had done all the piecing for Ringo Lake and only needed to quilt it. Now that I was done with that, what could I do? I KNOW! I needed to work on some challenges for our quilt guild for 2020. I came across an idea and went crazy with it. Here are the SEVEN quilt tops that I did over two weeks' time:

WELCOME TO SCRAPTASTIC 101

 This first quilt was one that I followed directions for.

 The second one was made with more fabric and had to be oriented this way.

 I added the white diamonds to batiks to see how it would look. I like it!

 This one used up a bunch of scraps.

 This is another batik one with triangles. It is alright but I like the diamonds in the other one better.

 I had several partial jelly rolls in solid colors. I realized I had reds, whites, and blues! I recalled the flag print and it made a perfect border. I appliquéd 13 stars to it. It's very patriotic, don't you think?

This last one was made with strips that were one inch wider. It is alright, but I think the more narrow strips are more pleasing to the eye. I might add another border to this one. It just doesn't seem right yet.
Isn't it amazing what you can do when you are stuck at home!
I hope my guild likes this challenge. I also put together another challenge that will be for making mug rugs. I will write more about that challenge in my next post.

The holiday frenzy is over. It goes so fast. We traditionally have prime rib roast for Christmas Day. I always have leftovers that I freeze for future beefy meals. I made this beef pot pie with some of our leftovers:
It was so yummy!

That's all for this time. I hope you've been inspired to quilt or to make your own pot pie!
Till next time, happy sewing y'all!

No comments: