Wednesday, May 13, 2020

A little spring to my step

I often put off blogging because it is a pain to organize photos and words in chronological order. For this post, I am just going to comment as the photos happen to appear when I added them.  I don't know why my blog does what it does as far as loading photos. The first few photos were the most recent ones. Then there is another set of photos that actually ARE in order of when they appeared. I am sure there is some rational explanation and I just don't care if I find it.

We have had an unusual spring here in the south. It's been cooler than normal. The day before Mother's Day was a superb day, weather-wise. The temperature was in the upper 60's. The humidity was low. The sun was shining. The sky was a gorgeous bright blue.

Since we haven't been able to go camping due to family health issues last year and covid19 this year, we dug out our mobile fire pit and had a campfire in the backyard. The pit has been under the house for 12 years!!! We cooked brats on sticks for supper and made s'mores for dessert. We talked and laughed and had just a wonderful relaxing time.
I like 'fired' marshmallows!
I was getting ready to blow out the flames, not to swallow fire! lol

Roxy kept an eye out for crumbs.

The saga of the socks is almost done. 
I got to this point with only a few times of unraveling and starting over:

One day I tried making sourdough biscuits from discarded sourdough. They might not look impressive but they tasted really good! Recipe was from King Arthur Flour.

I tried my hand at baking blueberry muffins on another day. These turned out so light and not at all like store-bought ones. The recipe came from a pre-1950's cookbook that I've had since I started cooking next to my Mom. It's called Meta Given's Encyclopedia of Cooking. The recipe is Twin Mountain Muffins.
I took this closeup to show all the blueberry goodness. 
I see a craggy old face in it, winking at me! hahaha

We go back to the saga of the socks. Lookie there! Do they look like socks?



I learned so much from making these. They are not perfect. There are mistakes. They do fit though. They keep my feet warm. I won't be able to wear them with shoes because they are too thick. I learned that crocheted socks do not have the same stretch that knitted socks have. I had to redo and improvise like heck to get these socks to fit over the heel and to not be too saggy. I feel accomplished but I doubt I will make socks again.

I finished quilting this patriotic quilt. It has 13 stars for the original 13 states, that I appliquéd onto it. The pattern is from our guild challenge and is called "Scraptastic 101." I am going to give it to my cousin who served during the Vietnam War.
This is the back.

I made one for his wife too, from the same pattern. I showed it before, but here it is again:
These both went to a good home.

This is the moon, peeking through the trees. I am sitting near our only southern facing window and am looking up. I like how eerie this photo turned out.

Roxy likes going behind the shear curtains. She's a strange dog!

When I sit outside the air is heavy with the perfume from these bushes. Or are they trees? I think this is a honeysuckle shrub. The flowers start out white and then turn yellow.


The scent of these flowers is intoxicating!!!

I am working on finishing this quilt top for my other cousin. I am buttonhole appliquéing the letters.

That's all for this day. We are doing ok. Till next time, happy sewing y'all!

2 comments:

Crowbat said...

Congrats on the socks! I don't think I'd have the patience to crochet socks, as I barely do for knitting. And yay for the biscuits! Bubbles came through!

Jaye said...

Glad you are all ok! The socks are awesome. I watched carefully as you stuck with the project. Good job! Now, back to quiltmaking!