Thursday, May 21, 2020

Fabric is in the picture!

Yes, there is actually fabric in every single photo today!!!

I can be a silly old woman sometimes. I often sing "You are my Sunshine" to my husband. When I saw this panel, I knew I had to buy it and make something with it, for him.
I often pick up bits of fabric from the freebie table at our guild meetings, to use in different projects and quilts. I sometimes pick up an orphan project to finish that someone else might have given up on. That is how I came to have a whole bunch of yellow triangles. The yellow pairs nice with the yellows in this panel.
I sewed the yellow triangles to an 'off' black fabric that matches the black in the panel. This is a rare thing to get 'orphan' fabrics to work with current projects, so I was pretty happy about this one. In the photo above and the ones below, I am trying different layouts for a border to go around the panel.
I will be putting a strip of fabric between the panel and the yellow and black zig zag. I have a little sewing to do to finish the yellow and black pieces and I have fabrics that are meant to go with the panel to use as border pieces. This quilt has no pattern. I am making it up as I go along.
I haven't figured out how to do the corners. I don't like the black stripe across, as shown in three of the corners. I hope to figure those out soon so I can make more progress.

The photo below is a wine box full of 2.5" by 9.5" strips that I cut up over a few days time. Thank goodness for my electric cutter machine! I went through a bunch of scraps and older fabrics that just didn't thrill me any more and cut them into strips. I then  cut the strips into the 9.5" lengths. If there were short strips left over, I cut them into 5" lengths for yet another project I have in mind. I'll be starting this soon, so keep posted!

This is my "Quarantine Quilt" again. I want to add a 4.5" border and then use black for the binding. My first fabric is the one I used in the sashing corners.

This fabric is the same that was used inside the squares. I think I am going to go with this one. What do you think?

I got a wonderful surprise in the mail this week. My cousin's wife sent me some sewing items from my Grandmother's sewing stuff! My Grandmother passed away quite a few years ago. Sadly, I never really got to know her very well. I had no idea she loved to sew!
There are bits of fabric, a thimble, a tape measure, and two larger pieces of fabric in the mix. There are a bunch of tiny pearl (maybe) buttons. There are two pairs of scissors. The silver one is called a Keen Kutter and the black handled one is a Wahl brand. That black handled one is a hair trimming scissors and there is a capital letter A that was hand etched into the handle. My Grandfather was a barber. Was this his? I have some ideas on what to do with these odd items. I am so touched to have them. (NOTE: The black handled one WAS my Grandfather's and he used it when he was a barber!)

I've been watching that organization show on Netflix with the woman who has a lot of ideas on what you need to keep and how to keep your items organized. After the very first episode I tried her idea of rolling things and organized the kitchen towel drawer. I was shocked that I could now open and close the drawer AND see the towels I owned!

If it worked for towels, how would it work for my pajamas? Well hush my mouth and call me a taxi, all my pajamas fit in one drawer and I could see exactly which ones they were! This was too easy.

Ok, I fibbed, here is ONE picture that is not fabric related:
Dex says enough organizing, come play ball with me!
So I will. Until next time, happy sewing y'all!

1 comment:

Crowbat said...

Definitely, finish out the quilt with that same fabric. LOVE the sunshine one!!