Thursday, June 4, 2020

Birds and Bees and Boys and Bugs

Good day all! It's been a busy time in the studio and around my home. I finally got around to making stuff again! It truly is the best therapy during these trying times. Of course the first thing I made is related to trying times.

I made another mask for The Mister. I love using this funky fabric. I cut it so the boney hands were reaching for the big spider. There is a wire in the nose piece. These are not all that hard to make and I don't know why I don't make more of them!

 I keep trying different layouts for the border of the "Sunshine" quilt.
 Nope, these three did not work to my liking.

I don't like either of these.

OH, that will work. The border that will go outside of the zigzag is mainly black with flowers, so the black corners will fit in nicely. Phew! Progress!

Due to a number of reasons, our home is filled with three of our adult kids now. We only have three bedrooms. The college kid had given up his room to his older brother. College kid was sleeping on the sofa and had no privacy. What to do?

We built a forth bedroom! Our kitchen, on the right, leads into the dining room on the left. We put up a shower curtain for a door and made a wall. Here is the walk-through of how we did it:

You walk in and see the Young Man at his computer. There is a wall in front of him and in the foreground there are guitar cases. On the wall next to The  Young Man is a window.

We are now inside his new room. One of my wallhangings is there above those guitar cases.

Next is his desk with another one of my wallhangings above him.

Here is the wall beside and behind him. That is the window I pointed out earlier. We found a spare little table for an end table and got an inexpensive twin bed for him.

The bookcase used to be along the wall where his bed is at now. We turned it to make part of the new 'wall'. The little armoire with the TV on top is backed up to another bookshelf/display case for his new wall.

We've come full circle how and are headed out his door. The kitchen door is on the left and the right leads to the rest of the dining room, the studio, and the hallway to the other bedrooms. That's Roxy's butt in the photo. lol

The backside of The Young Man's new room is another matching bookcase and the display case that backed the armiore. It's cozy and affords a modicum of privacy. I thought it was quite clever. Of course it was MY idea. hahaha

It's been delightful to be sewing in the studio again. In front of my main sewing machine is a widow to our front porch. Mr and Mrs Cardinal often visit. The other day they came with one of their kids! It was so cute to see them teaching it how to pick seeds from the feeder.

I made a mini version of my wool pressing mat to use at the side of my sewing machine. I recently purchased a mini iron after seeing it talked about on another blog. What a great idea this turned out to be!

The mat is a felted back of a wool sweater gotten at a thrift shop. I put it around a board.

I then laced the backside shut. You can still see the ripple pattern of the sweater.

Those are three and a half inch blocks laying on the mat. Next to them is a new pressing tool.

The pressing tool has lots of different uses. I like to use it to open seams for pressing.

 It glides right along and I don't burn my fingers!

This little iron really works great! It heats up fast and combined with the wool pressing mat, it makes short work of pressing seams.


Here is a little mystery for you. Do you have any idea what plant this light green ground cover might be? It never gets very tall. I think I've seen it stay this color year round too. Remember we do live in the south, so plants grow differently here.
 Here is a closeup. Perhaps it is a type of Sedum?
 If you know, let me know please? I'd like to add it to my flower garden.

Back in the studio, I made three pillowcases.
 This one is a fox print for our college kid.

 This is a teal and brown stripe for my middle son. The photo doesn't do the teal color justice though.

 This one was made from fabric I got off the freebie table at quilt guild.
Most of our sheet sets have pillowcases that either don't last or don't fit right. I like making special pillowcases. I can change them out as often as I want to, and they are just cheerful looking to me.

Our Rose of Sharon bushes are blooming!

 I made hats for my dining room chairs. Ok, they are not really hats, they are caps. 
Or maybe they are covers? Whatever you want to call them, they will protect the tops from dust and grime. This fabric also came from the freebie table at the guild.

We've come to the end of my posting for this day. 
I will leave you with this photo of a sign in our area. 
What about the lassies? hahahaha

Till next time, happy sewing y'all!

1 comment:

Jaye said...

I love that skeleton fabric!!! I didn't buy enough of it when it was around. Your use of it for a mask is a great idea. What pattern are you using? I also want to be able to whip out the perfect mask on demand. DH has quite a collection from my (and Mom's) experiments. I am still not happy with the patterns I have tried. Now that I have nose pieces, I am going to try Deirdre's pattern again.

What room did you use to carve out space for T? I liked the tour but was confused about where the space came from. Good idea to use bookcases as a wall. Those chair caps are a good idea!