Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Summertime, summertime, sum sum summertime, ahhhhhhh

The white rose of sharon's have now bloomed. The bees are so happy! Our mimosa tree is also in bloom. In the early mornings, when the sun is just up, the perfume in the area is so heady! It is one of the good things about living here.

I made homemade chicken pot pie for supper the other night. I think I spoil my family a bit too much, don't you?  It was very very good, if I must say so myself......and I must!

I am now at the point where I have to decide to make this a wallhanging or a quilt. On the right side I am auditioning a sunflower print that could be a border. I could also just make it a wallhanging and put black for binding around it. I am pleased with how it has turned out so far. I have it set aside for now. I need to ponder the next step.

Meanwhile, I am taking the Herringbone bag pattern up a step and making a herring bone quilt. I love using up the scraps this way. This is going very slow though. 
The segments are just laid out together and not joined yet. I will make six segments or rows I think. The nice thing is, if I decide to make it wider, I just have to add another row or two! I have already cut all the pieces and I have a LOT of the individual segments available to build a larger quilt if I want to.

It's been about five years or so since I was given three Hosta plants from my neighbor. She passed away a few years back. This is the first year that it has ever bloomed!!! Two Hostas survived out of the three. The one other one that is living is super tiny. This one is over a foot across. I hope the other one will eventually grow up too.
OH, do you see that light patch to the left of the Hosta? That is the plant that I've been trying to find. I finally stopped one day at the person's house where I first saw this. He was such a sweet man! He's retired from the Marines and has the most beautiful flower garden all around his home. Anyway, the plant is called "Lemon Grass Sedum" and he gave me some cuttings!!! It's been almost a week now and the plant seems just fine in my humble flower bed. I am so tickled to have it!

I recently purchased the book called "Wreck this Journal" by Keri Smith. I am already drawing in it. I like having this odd art journal to play with. It is so different from art journals I've done in the past. I am sure I will share some photos as I progress through this book.

That's it for today. Life has been busy again and has kept me from the studio way too much. I am almost done with a bag and another quilted wallhanging AND I started yet another quilt! I hope to have more photos to share with you next time.  Till then, happy sewing y'all!!!

1 comment:

Jaye said...

Well, I took a look at your blog and was pleased to see a couple of posts to read.

Your chicken pot pie looks amazing!!!! Like a real one. I use a Bisquik recipe so I don't have to roll out dough. If you have made gluten-free crust, you know it is a bear to roll out and keep intact.

Glad you are sewing and being creative. It is a balm for me.