Monday, July 24, 2023

Danish, gardens, and sewing

I came across a recipe for cheese danish and gave it a try. It's made using frozen bread roll dough, cream cheese, and jam. My first try was not perfect as I made the icing too thin so it was more like a glaze than drizzled striping. They tasted really good though! I will try this again. 


In between insane heat we've had some strong storms. This was the sky last week as I ended my walk QUICKLY!

I'm trying a new thing with scallions. (green onions) So far it seems to be a success. I will trim the green stalks, chop into bits and freeze them for soups and such.

This is the start of my garden a few months ago. I planted geraniums to discourage bugs. I planted yellow squash, tomatoes and peppers.

I harvested my first tomatoes this week!
 
There are orange cherry tomatoes and a larger variety of orange ones. (They turned red a few days after picking) 
I started some new tomato seeds that I hope will produce some late summer tomatoes too.
 
They sprouted right away and within days were several inches long.

I'm trying my hand at up-cycling clothing. I hope by working with pre-made clothing that I alter, to understand the construction particulars of clothing. When I'm more confident in my abilities, I will use some of my paper patterns and my fabric stash to make clothing from scratch.
I purchased this mens shirt from a thrift store. I carefully removed the collar and am turning it into a mandarin collar. So far, so good!
 
Next, I will remove the buttons and pocket. I also plan to un-hem the sleeves. Stay tuned for my progress!
 

I have finished my guild projects and am working on the Peanut Butter quilt. I am trying to decide on which layout I will use for the blocks before joining them.

I think I will use this layout:



Speaking of the guild, this is the next challenge:
Members will get a paint chip and pattern and make blocks matching the color of the paint chip for part of it.

I'm also crocheting a blanket for my son. He likes peacocks and this yarn reminds me of peacock colors. The pattern is also called "Peacock Feathers". It is much more vibrant when you see it in person.

The Mister got flowers for me again. There's no special occasion, he just likes to spoil me a bit. I think I'll keep him.

Till next time, happy crafting!

No comments: