Thursday, August 5, 2021

Playing with Fabric

I've been so busy in the studio. I asked the members of my quilt guild to donate orphan blocks. They responded with tons of blocks and odds and ends of fabrics:


I've sorted and sewn and cut and sorted some more.

I was surprised at how fun this has been for me!
I've been in a slump for over a year and working with these orphan blocks has been refreshing and inspiring. I will be making "Challenge Kits" to hand out at a future quilt guild meeting. Sadly our August meeting has just been canceled due to the uptick in Covid in our state. I guess this gives me more time to get more kits made!

I made a peach cake:
It was very easy and simple. It also was a magic cake as it disappeared quite quickly!
Peach Ricotta Cake
In a small bowl, whisk together 1 cup flour, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, beat 2 eggs and 1 cup granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add 1 tsp vanilla extract and 1/2 cup ricotta cheese and mix to combine. Add dry ingredients, half at a time, and mix.
Cut 1 peach in cubes and slice 1 peach. Fold in cubed peach into the batter. Spray a 6-inch springform pan with Pam. Spoon batter into the pan and arrange sliced peach on top.
Sprinkle with a bit of granulated sugar, and bake at 325 for 60-75 minutes. Dust it with some powdered sugar before serving.

If I make this again I will put one and a half peaches in the batter and only slice half a peach for the top.
I thought it tasted better the next day after sitting in the fridge overnight.

Till next time, happy crafting y'all! 

No comments: