Sunday, April 18, 2010

Art Journaling?

My flower is fully open now. I love roses. I love lilacs more, but they are not in bloom yet. :)

For years now, I have been hearing about journaling. I have seen a lot of articles in Quilting Arts magazine that relate to artistic journaling. I have seen friends make journal covers for their journals. I, myself, keep a journal/diary. I have always used pre-made blank books though. I actually possess every diary/journal that I've had since my very first one! I was about 13 I think, when I started keeping one.

I 'think' that the journaling I have been reading about, or seeing off and on, over the years is different in some way. Since digging out my book The Artist's Way, I have been thinking I might want to start one of these 'art journals' and use it to work through the book. I haven't read much of the book yet. I don't even know if a journal is the right tool to use WITH the book. It is only a feeling I have; that I might need or use a journal...along with the book.

About a month or so ago, I purchased a small blank artist sketchbook with spiral binding. I made a cardboard cover for the front of it because it only had a paper cover. I guess, in the back of my mind, I always knew I was going to head off in this direction someday! I guess 'Fate' was letting me know to buy that sketchbook in order to be prepared.

Today I tore up pieces of tissue papers that had come with my eQuilter orders in the past. (I keep a lot of odds and ends here in my studio.) I put some glue on the cover and placed torn tissue papers all over it. Then I tore up more bits and tossed them, like a salad, onto the cover. I poured Modge Podge over top and smeared it all with my fingers! I felt like a kid doing finger painting. :)
Now to leave it sit for a year or so, while it dries and I read more of the artist book to see what happens next!



2 comments:

Jaye said...

I have been keeping a journal about the same time you have. Of course, I am only 25.

Waxed paper works well if you want to keep working and the pages aren't dry yet.

You might see if your library has the book Journal Spilling by Diana Trout. She was interviewed by Rice.

Sherri said...

You're VERY mature for your age. :D

I am only working on the cover right now. I haven't decided if I am going to use the inside pages as more of a scrappy/stamped/collaged book or if it will be more for drawings.