Wednesday, July 10, 2019

What have I gotten myself into now???

Is this the mess I have gotten into?
Nope, though it does show the forth time I've had to take the yarn off this loom
 as I try once again to make socks before my yarn dies from yarn rot!

How about this?
It was almost a mess to have gotten myself into. Sadly this 1990's, mostly plastic, machine had been horribly abused, dropped, broken, full of dirt and smoke, and just was not a candidate for refurbishing.  
This was the machine that came with the odd cabinet I got a few weeks back. Even though they are both made by Montgomery Wards the machine is not original to the cabinet. It doesn't fit at all.
I found this label inside the cabinet showing that it is indeed a Montgomery Wards cabinet, possibly from the 1940's. I have tried looking for more information on it, but so far I cannot find anything.

The cabinet is going to be a challenge to repair and make pretty. 
The top is in horrid shape and the bottom edges are in need of a lot of work.
I think I will put a trim around the base, along with wood filler and glue and then paint the whole thing.

This isn't the problem either. It was a free panel off the freebie table at guild. 
It will become an owl apron. I think it is adorable!

 Roxy peers over my shoulder and says, "So what DID you get yourself into?"

 Well Roxy, I did finish the Charlie Brown Christmas quilt.
 And the 2019 Mystery Quilt is completely done.
 This is the back:

 Ok, so perhaps this pile of baggies is what is going to cause trouble? I picked it up off the free table at the guild meeting. It appears to be a quilt, all cut up and waiting to be sewn together, only there are no instructions!!!
 I've laid out the pieces here. It's good I love puzzles.

I also grabbed this off the freebie table. It is a book of about one foot squares of cotton and jute fabric samples. I intend on making purses or wallets with some. This isn't the mess I got myself into either.

THIS is where the trouble lies:
 WHAT THE HECK? 
Are you thinking I've lost my mind? I haven't. That letter there, next to the computer is full of the mess I've gotten myself into. It involves these three quilts: 
Folk Art Quilt
My Tweets Quilt 
U is for Unicorn
I have entered all three into a quilt show! I must be crazy. Like many artists, I can only see the flaws and not the beauty of it all. Even though there was an entry fee of $60, and I don't expect any ribbons, I am tickled to just share these three quilts with others. I know I've been inspired by other people's works. Perhaps my quilts will inspire someone too.

So that is the trouble I've gotten myself into. The show is in late September. I plan to go there and take pictures. Now I have to go make labels and hanging sleeves and clean off the dang dog hair. 

Till next time, happy sewing y'all!


1 comment:

Jaye said...

WHEW! My head is reeling from all that is going on at Casa Dodds! Why are you refurishing that cabinet? Is it beautiful? Do you have a machine that will fit into it? It seems like a lot of work that will take you away from your sewing projects.

I am thrilled you are sharing your talent with other quiltmakers. I look forward to seeing photos of your quilts in situ at the show.

That owl panel is cute!!!